While oils like coconut, argan, and jojoba are well-known for their skin benefits, there’s another superstar skin oil you’re going to love: apricot oil.
Often called “apricot kernel oil,” apricot oil does indeed come from the seed of this delicious stone fruit, which is especially nice to think of if you’re big on reducing food waste—all those tasty dried apricots see their pits go to amazing use. But its health profile is what should really get you excited about this fruit seed oil.
Benefits of Apricot Oil
- Ultra-moisturizing – The mildly scented oil is rich and emollient, making it an excellent moisturizer—especially for people with sensitive skin. Because it’s non-irritating and super light and rich in oleic acidand linoleic acid. it can moisturize without leaving skin feeling greasy. Because of its light nature, you’ll often find apricot oil as a carrier for massage oils (which can be infused with fragrant essential oils). It’s especially beneficial for dry skin, too.
- Anti-inflammatory – It’s a hot buzzword in health these days for good reason. Our less that pure diets, environmental pollutants, and our overall lifestyle (think sitting all day), can lead to inflammation in the body, especially the skin. Apricot oil may help to reduce the appearance of inflammation—be it eczema flare-ups or just generalized puffiness.
- Antiseptic – Don’t go running for the apricot oil when you cut your finger, but do use it in the healing process. Apricot oil’s antibacterial and antiseptic properties make it excellent in speeding healing. It may help to speed the healing, reduce the appearance of, and even prevent acne breakouts as well. But because it’s mildly comedogenic (pore-clogging), it’s not an ideal oil for people who regularly break out.
- Anti-aging – Okay, so nothing stops the aging process, but with a hydrating and antioxidant-rich oil like apricot, you may be able to suppress it at least a little bit. Because it’s rich in antioxidants, apricot oil can help to prevent the skin from free radical damage, which can keep it looking healthier and, ahem, younger than it actually is.
- Hair shine – Keep a bottle of apricot oil in the shower for gorgeous, healthy hair. Rich in vitamin E, it’s great for enhancing growth and delivering a natural shine without looking greasy or weighted down. When applied directly to the scalp, it may help in reducing dandruff and dry, itchy scalp. And for kids, it’s an excellent detangler without any chemicals or strong odors.
Check out our fave apricot oil products: