Winter skin can seem like it needs hours of love every day just to look normal—forget about all the other conditions that can be making you panic (wrinkles, pimples, dryness, age spots, etc). But sometimes, less is indeed more, even when it comes to your winter skincare routine.
If you’re starting to feel your skin sapped of moisture, fear not. You don’t need to get up an extra hour early just for misting and moisturizing. You just need to change up your skincare products, and maybe add a step or two to your skincare routine, at least until the weather warms up.
- Wash your face: You’re already doing this (hopefully), right? Well in the winter months, try switching to a more moisture-rich skin cleanser. This means something that’s creamier so not to dry the skin out even more.
- Exfoliate: If you think you only need to do this in the summer, here’s a step you may be missing. Exfoliation helps to remove dead skin cells, which can build up with dryness common in the winter months. A few times a week add a fruit-acid exfoliant to your routine or use a gentle scrubbing product.
- Tone: If you skip this step regularly, you’ll want to be sure to add it in now. Toners help to prep the skin for deep moisturizing—and this is something your dry and thirsty skin wants right now. Use a light toner with hydrating ingredients like coconut or jojoba oil.
- Serum: Think of serums as the love-child of toners and moisturizers. Not quite one or the other, but that happy medium in between, serums are the life-blood of healthy skin. They deliver nutrient-rich hero ingredients to the skin that help you to have healthy and happy skin. At the very least? They provide more moisture.
- Moisturize: Now it’s time to dig into that creamy vat of goodness and slather on the rich and emollient moisturizers. Crèmes are best this time of year, you want something thick and rich that feels so nice on your skin. Layer it thick (but not too thick!) and let it sink in to your face and neck. Follow with a hydrating eye crème and a good night’s rest for gorgeous skin!
The brutal sting of winter’s chill may not be here just yet, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t prep your skin for its inevitability. Just like the seasons change, so too must your skin (and hair!) care regimen. Ready to make a few simple swaps?
- Switch up your cleanser: A good skin cleanser that works for your skin type is essential. And giving it up? No thanks. But you may want to add a more seasonally appropriate cleanser to your routine. For winter, you want a creamier, and more moisture-rich cleansing lotion, as opposed to drying skin cleansers like foams.
- Add a richer moisturizer: Just like you want a more nourishing cleanser in the winter months, you want an extra creamy moisture treatment. This means your normal face oil or lotion might take a vacay until spring and you indulge in a thicker and more substantial crème to bring protection and hydration.
- Richer eye crème: Same rule as moisturizers—you want an eye crème that’s really going to protect the delicate skin around the eyes from drying out thanks to the cold-hot-cold air cycles going from chilly outside to sweltering indoors.
- Don’t forget your lips! We tend to equate lip balms with protection against harsh summer sun—but it’s also vital in the winter months too. Cold winter air can quickly dry out your lips as can all those PSLs, and the canned indoor heat. Switch from that tinted summery lip balm to a thick in-the-pot jar of flavorless and petroleum-free lip balm that’s loaded with moisturizing butters and oils.
- Amp up the hair care: While winter may give your hair a break from the pool and sun damage, it exposes it to other not-so-flattering situations like using the hair dryer way more, and that canned indoor air drying out your skin and lips. Switch from a light shampoo and conditioner to those heavier in oils and repairing ingredients to boost shine, decrease frizz, and reduce split ends. Top it off with a nourishing oil treatment, and remember: you don’t need to wash your hair everyday!
Check out our favorite winter beauty care items:
Ginko and Pumpkin Organic Créme
Coconut Milk Safflower Cleanser
Olive Black Seed Conditioner
Olive Black Seed Shampoo