A daisy-like member of the plant family Asteraceae, the chamomile flower is intensely fragrant with a wide range of benefits. If you sip chamomile tea, it may not only help to relax you before bedtime, but it may also soothe upset stomachs and boost immune function. (Note: if you suffer from hayfever, be sure to check with your doctor before using as chamomile is related to ragweed, a common allergen, and may have similar effects in some people with hayfever allergies.)
In beauty care products for skin, chamomile lends its calming and relaxing benefits, as well. Active ingredients in chamomile, including flavonoids and volatile oils, help to make chamomile a calming and relaxing antioxidant-rich beauty food.
Chamomile Beauty Benefits for Skin
1. Speeds healing: The soothing nature of chamomile makes it a natural healer, reducing the appearance of redness, scarring, and other skin irritations. For inflamed skin due to seasonal dryness, eczema, and psoriasis, chamomile may bring relief. Just be sure to discuss with your primary care physician for serious conditions and use caution when applying products to broken skin.
2. Itch relief: Whether it’s dry skin that’s got you scratching or a bug bite or sting, chamomile can bring quick and effective relief. Look for lotions or crèmes that contain chamomile as a hero ingredient.
3. Slows the aging process: While we all know by now that nothing stops us from aging, we can turn to the botanical kingdom for some assistance in keeping our youthful glow, no matter what our age! After all, looking young helps us to keep feeling young, too. The antioxidants found in chamomile can be thought of as a little army of skin protectors—keeping environmental stressors from damaging skin, fighting free-radicals, and regenerating skin.
4. Tightens pores: Nothing will shrink pore size, but you can rejuvenate and tighten them. Chamomile can help. Look for serums or masks that contain chamomile. Or make your own! Mix a tablespoon of cooled, brewed chamomile tea or a few scant drops of chamomile essential oil (super powerful, so truly, a few drops is plenty–2-3 max) with honey until combined. Apply to face and leave on for 20 minutes. Rinse with cool water and pat to dry.
5. Reduces puffy eyes: If you wake up looking like marshmallows crawled under your eyes every morning, you might want to keep some chamomile tea bags handy. The anti-inflammatory properties of chamomile tea make it helpful in reducing puffiness and under-eye swelling. Simply place cooled chamomile tea bags under each eye and leave on for up to ten minutes.
Our favorite Zatik Natural formulations with chamomile: