If you’ve steered clear of skin mask treatments save for a visit to the spa, your skin may be missing out on this simple and effective skin care treatment. And you don’t need an expensive spa day (although it’s quite worth it!) to get the same benefits.
So, what exactly are the benefits of a good old fashioned skin mask? We thought you’d never ask!
Face Mask Benefits
- Promotes healing and cleansing: Think of skin masks like your cleaning lady; they get into the corners and deep crevices of your pores that you had no idea were there. And this is important because they clear out the dead skin cells that can clog pores and cause breakouts. They’re much more effective at it than a simple cleanser—but also strong enough you don’t want to do it daily.
- Reduces the appearance of wrinkles: Spoiler: You’re going to get wrinkles. Whether or not you have them already is another matter, but we all get them. And you know what? We’ve earned them. So wear them with pride! But if you want to make them look less, well, earned, then a skin mask may be just what you need. Bonus: smoother skin.
- Balance out that skin tone: A skin mask can work to even out your skin tone and texture and reduce the signs of hyperpigmentation, brown spots, etc. A better looking skin tone can make you look healthier.
- Boosts hydration: This is an interesting benefit as we think of masks as drying, but they also help to deliver hydration to those deeper levels of the skin, which is beneficial for the health and appearance of the skin.
- Firmness: Ah yes, youth. Like those wrinkles, we’ve earned our less than supple skin and should wear it with pride. But a little firmness never hurt anyone either. So to combat loose skin, face masks may help to enhance collagen production resulting in firmer and tighter looking skin.
So now you know why to use a face mask, but which is best?
Clay or Oatmeal: To treat acne-prone skin, or to enhance firmness, try a clay or oatmeal mask. But note: never let it dry completely as it will sap moisture from the skin. Get to that still-wet but firming stage.
Charcoal: For a deep cleaning and revitalizing boost, charcoal masks are the hot new It routine for tired skin.
Honey: A gentle and easy DIY mask, honey can promote firmness, boost hydration and help to reduce the appearance of wrinkles all in one! Look for a local high-quality honey. Mix with a little fresh lemon juice for an added benefit to clogged pores.
Note there are all kinds of masks for skin out there to choose from. Talk with your dermatologist or a skincare expert to determine what’s best for your skin.